18.104.22.168 The legal authority and operating control of the institution are clearly defined for the following areas within the institution's governance structure: (Governing board control)
3.2.2 Governing Board Control
As cited in Core Requirements 2.1 and 2.2, the legal authority for coordinating higher education institutions in Louisiana is granted by the Louisiana State Constitution to the Louisiana Board of Regents (BOR) and, through the Board of Regents, to the governing boards of the four higher education systems. The University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors serves as the governing board for the University of New Orleans (UNO). When Act 419 was passed by the Louisiana legislature, UNO transferred from the Louisiana State University (LSU) System to the University of Louisiana System (ULS).
The respective responsibilities of the Louisiana Board of Regents and the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors are more fully explained in Core Requirements 2.1 and 2.2, and the distribution of authority and responsibility is delineated in the document “Louisiana's Postsecondary Education System”, authored by the Louisiana Legislative Auditor. In broad terms, the Board of Regents is defined as the policy and coordinating Board for postsecondary education in the state of Louisiana. It has the authority and responsibility to:
- Represent the postsecondary education system to the Governor and the Legislature;
- Formulate and update a Master Plan for higher education in the State;
- Study both the need for and feasibility of new postsecondary institutions;
- Establish Role, Scope, and Missions for systems and institutions;
- Approve, disapprove, or modify existing degree programs and departments;
- Develop and adopt the formula for equitable distribution of funds; and
- Review annual budget proposals for the operating and capital needs of each public institution prior to compilation of the Regents’ higher education budget recommendations.
The University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors (ULS), the governing Board for the University of New Orleans, oversees the operations of the nine institutions under its jurisdiction. The Board has the legal authority to:
- Supervise and manage institutions;
- Award certificates, confer degrees, and issue diplomas;
- Receive and expend appropriate funds, according to the Master Plan;
- Determine student fees;
- Purchase land and acquire buildings, subject to the approval of the Board of Regents;
- Employ and approve employment, fix salaries, duties, and functions of personnel; and
- Oversee the financial operation of schools.
The legal authority of the Board of Regents and the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors is codified in Louisiana Revised Statute 17:3351 which lists the powers, duties, and functions of college and university boards.
As described above, the Louisiana Board of Regents formulates a Master Plan (typically on a ten year cycle), establishes the role, scope, and missions for systems and institutions, and reviews and approves degree programs and departments of instruction. The institution develops its own Mission Statement; however, the mission must align with the Master Plan. The Mission is reviewed by the Board of Regents each time the Master Plan is updated and approved by the University of Louisiana Board of Supervisors as well.
The implementation of the University’s mission is clearly stipulated as one responsibility of the President. The University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors Rules assign to the campus chief executive officer the role of “prioritization of "providing academic leadership for the campus through established planning processes and prioritization of goals and objectives; promotion of academic excellence through execution of strategic initiatives outlined by the System President and the board; development and motivation of personnel to accomplish the campus mission…”.
|ACT_419||Legislation moving UNO to University of Louisiana System|
|BoR_Master_Plan||Incorporation of the University of New Orleans Mission within the Board of Regents Master Plan|
|LA_Constitution_Article_VIII_Section_5||Louisiana Constitution Authority for Board of Regents and University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors|
|LA_Postsec_Ed_System||Informational Report Authored by Louisiana Legislative Auditor 2011|
|LA_RS_17_3351||Powers and duties of Management Boards|
|UL_System_Board_Minutes_02_27_2014||Documentation of University of Louisiana System approval of UNO Mission|
|UL_System_Rule_President_Role||University of Louisiana System Rule Describing Role of President|